According to a career listing on the Crytek website,the CryENGINE team is in search of a programmer to help develop the Linux version of the engine. This is good news for those that may have a broken windows pc or Macbook they haven’t fixed yet, as future gamers could start using their linux computers. Linux does not have a large installment of games, so this is exciting news for gamers running Linux. Crytek revealed no details on which games will be in development for this engine.
The programmer would be responsible for developing modules for testing. He or she would also need to help create game prototypes and custom solutions for external partners. In addition, the developer would also need to provide support and training for other developers-both inside and outside the company.
This career appears to require relatively little programming experience. In addition to knowing the necessary skills, only 2 years of experience in professional software development is required for this job. The developer would need to move to Germany, where Crytek’s headquarters are located.
Below are the career details for the Linux version of CryENGINE(taken from the Crytek website):
- Maintain Linux support for CryENGINE.
- Contribute to maintenance and improvements of low-level engine systems.
- Ensure reliability of Unix based build systems for SDK releases and special projects.
- Create and maintain modules to be used for automated testing.
- Contribute developer documentation based on on-going developments.
- Participate in the development of game prototypes and custom solutions for external partners.
- Provide support and training to internal and external developers.
- Show a strong passion for customer service and satisfaction.
- Take initiative and be willing to expand own horizon.
- Adhere to all company policies and procedures.
- Safeguard company assets including source code, artwork, tools, game design information and technical know-how.
- Minimum of 2 year of professional software development experience.
- Excellent understanding of:
- Linux operating systems and the open-source development community.
- C++ & Object-oriented software engineering.
- Multithreaded software architecture.
- Common 3D game algorithms
- Strong software engineering and debugging skills.
- Adopt existing company development processes.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Excellent communication and writing English skills.
- Keep a positive team-oriented attitude.
- Willing to relocate to Germany.
- Be proactive and self-motivated, work without direct supervision.
- Willing to travel for conferences and off-site meetings as needed.
- Report to: Development Manager